The MBI MatchBook

Just like everything else I've made, todays mini-project was the result of another "wouldn't it be cool if..." and truly just for fun.
More art & craft than anything super high tech, I've been wanting to make a matchbook, with miniature lights instead of matches for a few years now and even more so since settling on the MBI - MatchBox Instruments name.

The microlights I'm using are designed as miniature fishing lure lights that run for 8hrs and come in a variety of colors (red,white,orange, green).

I completely forgot that I ordered them and they showed up this morning so I couldn't help myself in whipping this up.

Each match (light) has a miniature magnet glued on the bottom, then all but the head are painted in black.

The base of the matchbook has a magnetic metal rod so each match can be easily removed or replaced as often as needed and of course it also means they can be stuck to all manner of metallic parts for some temporary emergency lighting. Though they are low power, they are very visible in the dark and produce enough light to walk around without bumping into things and even reading with dark adjusted eyes.

The matches are activated by pushing down on the head and can be switched off by pulling the head to restore it to the original position.

I'm going to stick these in my wallet for who knows what.

I may even forget that they are in there until I need them or until the next time someone says....

"excuse me, have you gotta a light?"

Thanks for reading,

Guy

Discussion

Pej said on November 04, 2016:

How fun. Just as a suggestion, what if instead of using a marker you just put some heat shrink wrap on each one?

art mier said on September 09, 2016:

How can I order the charger at the same time as the flashlights?

Vince said on November 19, 2014:

Awesome work, Guy.

I would like to get this, once you have them.

Let me know the update soon.
Vince

Guy said on July 04, 2014:

@Scott,

Thanks so much for the feedback & suggestion Scott :)
Let me see if I can get that underway sometime next month.

MBI / Guy

Scot said on June 25, 2014:

Hello Guy: I would like to buy some of the MBI matchbooks too. If you don’t have time to make them, I suggest paying an assistant to make them that you oversee. I lived in Tokyo 6 years in the past and loved so many gadgets I found there. I am guessing you are inspired by the gadgets there too. Sincerely, Scot

P.s. You could give away a few sets for review on popular youtube reviewers and quickly get many orders. I don’t see what is holding you back from doing that. Anyway, just trying to egg you on to make them more available. If you succeed then your customers succeed in getting great products from you too.

Guy said on April 21, 2014:

Hi arduinoboy,

The light sticks are packaged as fishing lure lights.
Painted and customized, along with the MatchBox.

Dale,
Thanks. Might have to make a few, when I have some more time ;)

p.s. I’m still not getting alerts for new comments!

Dale said on February 11, 2014:

Guy, these are just way too cool to keep from the Tribal community! Every MBI aficionado must have a pack of MBI MatchLights! Must have! I think it’s rule # 93.2 in Section IV, subsection C under Tribal Community. ;)

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing these and the HF Tiny and the Zeus and …

Dale

arduinoboy said on January 21, 2014:

Where did you get those Guy ?

Guy said on January 14, 2014:

>climberkid said on January 08, 2014:
>I’m with jonwkng on this one. The usefulness and ease of carry with these is astounding. Do they use button >cell lithiums or AAAA?

Thanks climberkid,
These are using a 3V lithium battery similar to the BR425.

>Tofty said on January 09, 2014:
>Hey Guy,
>Great idea and of course lovely presentation.
>From the pictures i work out that they can’t be any wider than about 5mm.
>I therefore haven’t a clue as to the type of battery, custom made perhaps?
>Have you done a back to back lux test between one of these and a match? Might be interesting.
>Cheers,
>Tofty

Hi Tofty,
These are 2.5~3mm.
A lux test vs a match would be cool :)

>Shelby said on January 12, 2014:
>WoW! Those are fabulous!
>I can imagine so many uses for those.
>Amazing work Guy! Sign me up!

Thanks Shelby :)

p.s.
… I need to set up some kind of comment alert.

Shelby said on January 12, 2014:

WoW! Those are fabulous!
I can imagine so many uses for those.
Amazing work Guy! Sign me up!

Tofty said on January 09, 2014:

Hey Guy,
Great idea and of course lovely presentation.

From the pictures i work out that they can’t be any wider than about 5mm.
I therefore haven’t a clue as to the type of battery, custom made perhaps?

Cheers,
Tofty

climberkid said on January 08, 2014:

I’m with jonwkng on this one. The usefulness and ease of carry with these is astounding. Do they use button cell lithiums or AAAA?

Guy said on January 06, 2014:

There’s no quoting feature on this system it seems…
thanks very much for the posts.
Might just have to make a few of these once I field test them a little ;)

Shyan said on January 06, 2014:

I want…haha cool design!

jonwkng said on January 06, 2014:

Hi Guy, that’s just a genius creation! Single mode match lights available in a variety of tints and the versatility of magnetic attachment. Oh, and extreme runtime! (for matches). Please, please, please put these on sale. :)

Kenny said on January 06, 2014:

I’m not sure you can make anything that’ snot cool. I always need a light, or two, or ten!